Use the following steps to configure the Mozilla Thunderbird (version 3.x) mail client, with your AKO directory (GAL)*:
- Install the DoD Configuration Add-on for Mozilla:
- Open Firefox and go to www.forge.mil and click the link to Download DoD Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird Add-ons, on the next page click the ‘Learn more‘ button under the ‘Download DoD Mozilla Firefox & Thunderbird Add-Ons‘ heading.
- Click the ‘Download‘ button to install the DoD configuration .xpi file. It should auto-run and install in Firefox. Follow the pop-up instructions.
- Next, download the file to your desktop by right clicking the ‘Download‘ button and select ‘Save Link As‘. Navigate to your desktop to find the file.
- Open Thunderbird go to Tools –> Add-ons. Click the ‘Install‘ button and navigate to where you downloaded the .xpi file. Follow the pop-up instructions. Then restart Thunderbird.
- To integrate the AKO directory in Thunderbird:
- Go to Tools –> Account Settings and click Composition & Addressing.
- In the Addressing section, select ‘Use a different LDAP server‘ then click ‘Edit Directories‘.
- Click the ‘Add’ button and type a name such as AKO Directory or AKO White Pages.
- Use the settings below:
- Hostname: directory.us.army.mil
- Base DN: ou=people, ou=army, ou=dod, o=U.S. Government, c=US
- Port number: 636
- Bind DN: cn=<AKO Username>, ou=people, ou=army, ou=dod, o=U.S. Government, c=US
- Select User secure connection (SSL)
- Click ‘OK‘ to return to Thunderbird.
*It is recommended you have Thunderbird installed on your computer prior to continuing with this FAQ’s instructions.